Mission Description Summary
A Global Gates Afghan Team Member will work part-time alongside the Missions Catalyst within a comprehensive strategy to multiply disciples and churches among a focused unreached people group. Global Gates understands that each person brings unique gifts and abilities to the missionary task. The Missions Catalyst will define the Team Member’s role based on the convergence of the missionary’s calling and skills with the strategy to reach the people group. Areas of focus could include teaching English, community development, evangelism, prayer, discipleship, fundraising, social media, research, website management, volunteer coordinating, or other areas deemed strategic by the Missions Catalyst. The Team Member can work in conjunction with the Missions Catalyst to determine the most strategic concentrated area within Metro NY to live and serve.
Major Responsibilities and Function
- Major responsibilities and functions will be determined by the Missions Catalyst, but everything that is done will feed into the larger strategy of gaining access to a people group to share the gospel and multiply disciples, churches, and leaders among the people group.
Unreached People Group Information
Concentrated Area: Kew Gardens Hills & Fresh Meadows (Queens); Hicksville & Bethpage (Long Island)
Population Estimate in Metro New York: 30,000
Primary Religion: Islam (Sunni)
Primary Languages: Dari, Pashto, English
Why is This Position Needed?
Afghans live in other major metros across North America, but over 30,000 live in Metro New York City with tight connections throughout their homeland. Only a few known Afghan believers live in New York and only a handful of local churches recognize the opportunity to reach Afghans locally and globally. There remains a great need for more laborers.
The epicenter of the Afghan Muslim community can be found at the border of Kew Gardens Hills and Fresh Meadows, Queens. Bakeries, restaurants, residences, and community centers of Afghans are centralized here, but Afghans also live, work, and play throughout the Metro in Flushing, Queens, Hicksville & Bethpage on Long Island, and New Jersey communities such as Passaic & Middlesex counties. Gospel workers in these diaspora communities would allow disciples to be made and churches to be planted among Afghans locally and throughout their networks globally.
- Submit short monthly reports to Supervisor.
- Submit an annual report to Global Gates leadership.
- Meet or video conference with the assigned Supervisor once a month to evaluate and strengthen the work.
- Participate in team meetings when applicable.
Global Gates offers customized training for our missionaries called Gateways. Depending on the missionary’s prior experience, Gateways could involve building skills in language learning, ethnographic research, mobilizing and training partners, spiritual formation, evangelism and discipleship, church planting methodology, and leadership. To become an effective team member, the missionary candidate may need to develop particular skills first. Global Gates also offers a one-week Strategy Coordinator training and ongoing coaching to assist missionaries in their task.
Team Member Characteristics
- Demonstrates a mature walk with God as verified by lifestyle and references.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the Bible with its overarching narrative and can articulate the major tenets of the Christian faith to others.
- Evidences God’s calling, gifting and leading to reach unreached people groups with the gospel.
- Is age twenty-one or older (no maximum age).
- Has a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Has the experience to fulfill the job assignment.
- Is legally able to work in the USA or country of operation.
- Models healthy family relationships (click here to view our family standards).
- Has no credit card debt and all other loans (student, mortgage, etc.) are manageable.
- Shows evidence of good emotional, physical, financial and mental health.
- Demonstrates a healthy relationship with a local evangelical church in membership and mission.
- Agrees with the Lausanne Covenant and Global Gates’ Core Values.
- Demonstrates relational skills to network with partners for raising salary and ministry support.