We are thrilled that you will be joining us during one of our Sifting Weeks. These weeks are very strategic to our work as we send out large numbers of volunteers to strategic areas of the city to sift for Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs who are being drawn to Christ by the Holy Spirit. You will greatly multiply our efforts to look and find people who desire to know more about Jesus. As you begin putting your team together, the following information will be helpful to you.
Anticipated NYC Costs (transportation to NYC is not included to these costs):
- $150 – project fee/participant (covers stipend for national believers who will follow up on contacts you make, renting space for trainings, and materials).
- $33- weekly unlimited Subway Pass
- $45-$60/person a night for hotel or dormitory housing (you should be booking at least 6 nights stay for each participant)
- $25/day for food (can eat cheaper than this, but this is a safe bet)
There are dorm-style, hotel, and AirBnB lodging available.
(rooms of 4 bunk beds that sleep 8 people)
* New York School of Urban Ministry offers dorm style housing and is very convenient.
They offer a meal plan as well, but we suggest only getting the breakfast, if you plan to
purchase a meal plan, as you may be out in the city during other meal times.
(https://nysum.org/schedule-your-training-and-stay/). Present costs: $45/person/night
(no meal plan).
Hotels will cost approximately $175/night/room. If you book a hotel, please ensure that
the room can hold the number of people you are planning for. Some hotels in NYC only hold a maximum of 2 people, so just check with the hotel. When searching for hotels,
please ensure that your hotel is:
* In Queens, NY (Jamaica, Flushing, Long Island City, Woodside, or
* Within walking distance (no more than ½ mile) from a subway stop summer).
Some teams have found AirBnB to be a great way to house themselves while on a
Short Term Mission Trip. If you do choose to use AirBnB please ensure that you follow the same
guidelines for hotels above.
If flying, LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is the easiest to navigate once you arrive and the cheapest to travel from to your destination in NYC. Alternately, JFK (in Queens, but much further away) and Newark (EWR) are options. If primarily working in NJ on your trip, Newark is the best option.
Getting Around NYC
An unlimited weekly NYC Metro Card costs $33. This is the easiest way to travel around the city, and it is good for unlimited rides on NYC buses and the subway. Google Maps offers reliable transportation instructions from point to point.
It is encouraged that groups eat in the restaurants of the target populations and utilize this time to make new friends and share the gospel with restaurant workers and others. Participants should anticipate spending $20-$30/day on food.